Name Change

A name change is most commonly obtained by a spouse undergoing a divorce who wishes to resume their maiden name. It is an extremely simple process in conjunction with a divorce action as one needs only to request that relief from the court and prove that is not being done for improper reasons.

To change one’s name in a separate proceeding is not quite as simple as doing it within a divorce proceeding. However, so long as it is not for improper reasons, it is for the most part not overly complicated, and the relief requested is usually granted.